March for Babies

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Just Yay, All Over the Place!

It is our last night inpatient. Due to a calculation error, we are getting out on Wednesday morning instead of Tuesday. You see, I counted the four days as Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. However, the IV goes from 5am Saturday morning to 5am Sunday morning and that is day one. Sunday to Monday, Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday then equals four days. *sigh* Thankfully we were able to juggle Amanda's OT appointment ...again...(Sorry Kristin!) and I can still work the rest of the week.
We spoke to the oncologist today about what we are looking at for the next couple of months. She originally wanted to "save" our Thanksgiving so she had us scheduled to do a week of outpatient chemo the first week of December. This would then put us inpatient again the week after Christmas. In her theory that meant her numbers would be high and she would be home for Christmas and able to enjoy the holiday feeling well, etc. However, the timing would NOT be good for my office as my boss and his wife have a scheduled c-section on the 29th, and it would not go over well if I wanted to be gone at the same time. SO, after a quick round of What Ifs with the doctor we agreed she will do the outpatient chemo during the week of Thanksgiving. This means coming into the hospital on Thanksgiving Day but it will only be for about an hour and a half and, to be honest, what better way to fully appreciate that for which we are truly thankful? Then, we will do the inpatient the week before Christmas, getting out on Christmas Eve. She should be just as active and well as she is now (cannot keep the kid still) so we should be able to enjoy our holiday celebrations with only a reminder to family and friends that if they are feeling unwell or have been exposed to anything they should please keep the Hell away from her. Really, I think it is a win-win. She gets the treatment she needs a week sooner than she would have, and I can be in the office when they need me. Yay!
The oncologist also said not to feel apprehensive about being inpatient that close to Christmas. She said there will be people coming by with gifts and treats all the time. She will not feel deprived of anything. I can fully believe this as just sitting here today minding our own business we were visited by The Rockettes and some therapy dogs! The Rockettes arrived just as Manda was drifting off for her nap so they called me out into the hallway and gave me a Barbie-like doll (a Rockette obviously) and took my picture with the girls. I don't feel like a fashion-plate on a good day, but after spending a week in the hospital and wearing jeans and a T-shirt next to these ladies dressed in sparkly gold mini-dresses and enough make-up to paint my house, I was feeling a bit under dressed for the occasion. But, I cannot think of another time in my life that I will get to have my picture taken with actual Rockettes so...
Looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tomorrow night instead of the pull-out chair next to Manda's crib. Someday I will write a review of all the different sitting/sleeping devices I have used during our journey through treatment. I actually have a preference for one particular couch, but I didn't know that until I had tried a couple other options. Ok, going to sleep now, it is going to be a long day tomorrow.

2 comments:

kim said...

Hang in there, Mommy! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Wow, the Rockettes! That's awesome and I bet Miss Amanda will put that doll to the test in some new and improved ways. Meow has a new, fancy buddy.

Kim said...

Thanks for letting me link over to here from Amanda's other blog. What amazing strength you all have. She is a beautiful strong girl with the prayers of many behind her. Thank you for keeping us all in the loop.
Much love to all of you.